The Jeff Sharlet Memorial Award for Veterans
Note: This contest has ended, and a winner has been announced. Please watch this space for rules for our next veterans' contest, scheduled for Spring 2014.
This creative writing contest for U.S. military veterans and active duty personnel is hosted by The Iowa Review and made possible by a gift from the family of Jeff Sharlet (1942–69), a Vietnam veteran and antiwar writer and activist. The contest is open to veterans and active duty personnel writing in any genre and about any subject matter.
Judge: Robert Olen Butler
Prize: $1,000 plus publication in The Iowa Review
Entry fee: $15 (enclose an extra $10 for a discounted year-long subscription)
Deadline: July 15, 2012
Note for those who submitted by the original June 15 deadline: If you'd like to take advantage of the new deadline and continue working on your submission, just e-mail us your revision by July 15 and ask us to replace your previous submission with the new one.
- Submit a double-spaced manuscript in any genre (poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction) of up to 20 pages. Work must be previously unpublished. Simultaneous submissions are fine assuming you inform us of acceptance elsewhere.
- The judge will select winners from a group of finalists chosen by Iowa Review editors. All manuscripts, whether selected as finalists or not, are considered for publication.
- To submit online, please visit iowareview.submishmash.com and follow the instructions.
- To submit via mail, instructions follow:
- Manuscripts must include a cover page listing your name, address, e-mail address and/or telephone number, and the title of each work, but your name should not appear on the manuscript itself.
- Enclose a $15 entry fee (checks payable to The Iowa Review). Enclose an additional $10 for a yearlong subscription to the magazine.
- Label your envelope as a contest entry and note its genre. For example: “Veterans’ Contest: Fiction.” One entry per envelope.
- Postmark submissions by July 15, 2012.
- Enclose a SASE for final word on your work. Manuscripts will not be returned.
The Iowa Review, 308 EPB, Iowa City, IA 52242
Eligibility and Conflicts of Interest
Current students, faculty, or staff of the University of Iowa are not eligible to enter the contest.
Work is ineligible to win our contest if it is slated for publication before April 2013, whether in another magazine or as part of a book, or if it has been named winner or runner-up in any other contest. Please withdraw work from our contest immediately if these conditions apply.
The judge has been instructed not to award the prize to entrants with whom he has had a personal or professional relationship. Despite reading the entries with author names removed, the judge may sometimes be able to guess the identity of the entrant. Even if he can't tell during the judging process, he has the right to change his decision if it turns out that the entrant is someone with whom there is any appearance of conflict of interest. Therefore, we advise entrants not to enter the contest if the judge is someone they know personally or have worked with professionally.